Today, Niki of Rooney Ranching is showing us her take on the Pristine Swing Dress, which she did in an adorable and versatile tunic length. The Pristine Swing Dress is perfect for an adventurous beginner or intermediate sewist and is great for knit or woven fabrics.
I was so excited to get an opportunity to review Blank Slate’s Pristine Swing Dress pattern, which is part of the Go To Patterns lineup. I was especially excited because Melissa of Melly Sews (the designer behind Blank Slate Patterns) is one of my favorite sewing bloggers on earth. She is a terrific designer, takes beautiful photographs, and is a fantastic writer. But enough about the designer — let’s get on to dress!
Actually, I decided to take the option of making it a tunic length. The pattern provides options for either dress-length or tunic-length, as well as three different sleeve options (short, 3/4, and long). I didn’t hem it up as far as I might have because I didn’t want the pockets too close to the bottom, but it’s a perfect length to wear with some leggings and what five-year-old Charlotte calls her “high school boots”.
I bought the medium-weight knit fabric (Button Flowers from the Doodles Collection) at Jo-Ann’s and used some green woven quilting-weight cotton from my stash (the designer and name of which are forgotten, unfortunately). The pattern specified that combo of fabrics, and I’m curious to see how it will wear over time. (I prewashed both fabrics, of course, but I know that fabrics continue to shrink over time.)
I love the yoke detail and the pockets. The pockets blend in because of the busy pattern I used, but the cute green trim detail stands out for sure.
Charlotte was virtually unable to keep her little paws out of the pockets, but I didn’t like any of the photos I took with her hand stuffed down in them. With below freezing temperatures and a near constant cloud cover, it’s a little difficult to go outside for a fun, extended photo shoot or to get good inside shots anywhere except for under the skylights in our kitchen.
The pattern came together really nicely and everything fit together just like it should. I sewed facings (front and back!) for the first time ever, and they made the neckline look great in addition to covering up some inside seams that might have been irritating to Charlotte’s chest and shoulders. I do think I made perhaps one size too large in my eagerness to make a garment that would fit Charlotte for more than a few months. As a result, the shoulders were too broad and I had to cheat the button over a little on the back placket to pull it tighter. As she grows, I can easily move the button back to where it should be. I would love to make the pattern again with short sleeves for the summer, and perhaps I would run over to Corey’s granny’s house to use her serger to finish off the seams inside.
Charlotte wore the tunic to school today and reported that it was “very good”. She said she would definitely wear it again and that her favorite part of the dress was the pockets. Sounds like a good review if I ever heard one!
Thank you so much to Andrea from Go To Sew for giving me this opportunity!