- pom pom trim
- fusible webbing (wonder under or heat n bond)
- embroidery floss
- Gather supplies.
- Cut 2 square of out of main fabric the size you want your pillow. Mine is about 14 inches square.
- Then cut out your hearts to fit on your square. I cut 8 red and 1 aqua. Then you’ll want to cut 9 hearts of the same shape out of your fusible web.
- Iron the fusible web, shinny side down, onto the back of each heart. Then peel the paper backing off. This will leave a layer of “glue” on each heart.
- Next position the hearts – I used a ruler to make sure they were lined up correctly.
- Now, the reason for the fusible webbing – iron all of the hearts into place. The fusible webbing will help them stay put and nice and flat and not wrinkle or shift when you sew.
- Machine stitch around each heart to secure it to the pillow:
- Now, you could stop there, but I went ahead and used embroidery floss to hand-stitch the outline of each heart. I thought it added depth and character to the project. But it was the longest part of this whole project, so if you’re short on time, it could be omitted. I went around the red hearts in aqua and around the aqua heart in reed. And then I used red to embroider the word “love” into the aqua heart.
- Now, how to attach pom pom trim to a pillow – – first sew it around the edge of the front of the pillow: Just bend it around when you get to a corner.
- At the beginning and end, you’ll want to hang the tail off just a little, like so: And it should look like this when you’re done with that step.
- At that point, with right sides together. you are going to sew the back of the pillow to the front. Leave a few inches open to be able to turn the pillow right-side out. If you sew where you can see the stitch line of the attached trim, then you can aim for slightly inside that line – that will give your seam perfect placement. When done, clip your corners as shown.
- Turn right-side out and stuff. Then hand-stitch the opening closed. That’s it!
I love the hint of aqua — and it fits in with my decor:
It’s so fun and adds a hint of Valentine’s without being too much so – –