During the #iwantfabric giveaway last week it became overwhelmingly obvious to me that ruffle knit fabric is still very popular! I picked some up for myself from Michael Levine. I love the color, mustard. I’ll be very sad the day it is completely out of style. When I found this fabric I knew I had to have it. Making a skirt is so simple when you’re using ruffle knit fabric. No need to hem!
The one thing that has kept me away from sewing with ruffle knit fabric in the past is the sheerness of the fabric under the ruffle. A little flipped up ruffle could be rather embarrassing. This tutorial will show you how to easily line your skirt. No wardrobe malfunctions! We’ll show you how to make a ruffle knit skirt for girls or women.
- Ruffle knit fabric: 20-24″ for women, less for girls (B below)
- Solid knit fabric with 25%+ stretch in your skin tone or neutral: 18-22″ for women, less for girls (C below)
- 1″ wide knit elastic (not non-roll elastic): waist measurement-3″ (D below)
- Go To Leggings pattern for girls (optional)
- Admire your fabric.
- Lay your fabric out flat.
- Cut the bottom of the ruffle knit fabric (with scissors) along the bottom edge of a ruffle.
- Cut the top edge of the ruffle knit fabric with scissors. Flip the top ruffle up and cut just under where the ruffle attaches to the fabric. This will leave you 1-2″ of fabric with no ruffle. Perfect for the waistband. (measurement B)
- Cut the width of your skirt with a rotary cutter (measurement A).
- Cut the lining fabric with a rotary cutter. (measurement lining A x lining B). Optional: Cut and sew leggings- do not finish waistband yet.
- Fold outer ruffle layer, right sides together. Fold lining layer right sides together, wrapped around ruffle layer. Match edges. Pin well. Make sure the ruffles are laying flat and you match them at the seam. Sew. Learn more about how to pin.
- Sew waistband together (measurement D). Pin it on the top of the skirt & lining (or leggings) so it is evenly distributed.
- Sew with a zigzag stitch or serger along the top of the elastic & skirt. Pull the elastic tight while sewing. Hold the fabric behind the needle with your other hand to prevent the needle from breaking.
- Turn waistband down toward wrong side. Pin.
- Sew all the way around the top with a straight stitch. Be sure to stretch the elastic as you go.
- You’re done!
Have you sewn with ruffle knit fabric?We have some extra ruffle knit fabric (this fabric!) to give away!
Sign up for our newsletter in the sidebar then leave a comment below to win. View our giveaway policy. It’s that easy! We’ll choose 2 winners February 5th! Must be 18 years old and a U.S. resident to win. GIVEAWAY CLOSED. Winner posted HERE.